Thursday, July 31, 2008

Lost in Yonkers !

I keep trying to keep a positive mental attitute but it's tough. I did a gig tonight in Yonkers for some friends, for $10 bucks! They are friends and I was happy to do it. I opened the show very strong and some other comics ate it. Therefore I was well received and appreciated by all. 

At the end of the evening i opened my Macbook Pro (15") :)
some jackass spilled some drinks on it. Computure still works however screen is damaged. Entire laptop might be as well however so far, so good. 

I tried to get personal information from this guy and only got his cell phone. He whined all the way, "oh poor me, why me..." I checked it and it worked. However after doing a infocheck on his cell it came up empty. 

His friend gave me his business card however he didn't spill it. I then insisted on seeing his ID. The owner now was getting annoyed. Why shouldn't he when a drunk dumb ass spills his drink on my computer? A machine that cost $2500 new, when I do a spot for $10 bucks; geeze what the fuck am I doing spots for 10 dollars in Yonkers for, even for friends?

My friends panicked and got me out of there afraid the owner would hit me or something. I allowed them to do that. What I should have done was insisted on getting a cop to have the guys ID checked. So where does this leave me?

The producers agreed to make good on the repair if this guy turns out to be a Stiff. His friend seems to have a few bucks as well. Therefore this might turn out to be ok. Bottom line...when you do shows that you are overqualified for, or in a place that caters to drug users/abusers such as alcoholics, you might run into a problem. Bar gigs often suck because of the problems you can run into as a comic. 

The Producers were sorry they panicked and should stand behind me on this. Hopefully the hotshot who spilled the booze will. The owner of the bar was nasty and totally hindered me from getting that guys ID. I hope I do not have to go after him for the money. The last thing I want to be is "*Lost in Yonkers."    

Neal Simon's play not related in any way to my story. 

No comments: